In January 2013 Nicholson Engineering undertook a full restoration of the bells. The work included re-tuning and rehanging the bells with new fittings in the existing bell frame. Prior to its tuning, the tenor bell had been estimated by some to weigh 13 cwt, though when weighed it was found to weigh 10 cwt 0qtr 1Ib. In order to keep costs as low as possible, valuable assistance was given to the bell hangers by local ringers and church members who also undertook the painting of the bell frame.
The bells form a particularly mixed peal and had never been tuned together. The bells were rehung in 1909 by Thomas Doble of Taunton with new ringing fittings in a new bell frame, the bell frame consisting of cast-iron A-frame bolted down to steel joints. More major work was carried out over the years including replacement of bearings and pulleys but until recently the bells remained very much as Thomas Doble left them.
The bells returned on the 11th March 2013 and a Hallowing Service was conducted by the Revd. Paul Larcombe, Team Rector. Schools, the Community and the Local History Society came to celebrate the safe return of the 6 bells. The work was completed over that week and tried out by the local band of ringers on the 19th March, 2013.
St.Martin’s Church is grateful to the Garfield Weston Foundation, the Shape Trust, Weston-super-Mare Town Council and the Bath & Wells Diocese of Bellringers for grants and donations.
See the website for Worle Bellringers